Ginger, Garlic and Spring Onion fall into the category of “aromatics”
These ingredients are there in your dish to add an element of exotica or mystery much like a dab of perfume behind the ear…..
When used correctly and with respect, these “aromatics” will transform your dish from bland and boring to something subtle and sublime.
Here’s a few tips to get you started.
- Add a couple of thin slices of ginger to hot oil before stir frying beef (its not there to be eaten but to add a suble flavour to the oil and your whole dish.
- Add a big knob of ginger about the size of a golfball, to a chicken stock. Remove before serving
- Lightly smash/split a whole clove of garlic & add to hot oil before stir-frying your favourite green veg.
- Instead of using onion, cut your spring onions (white & green) into 5cm sections and add to a stew or stir fry in the final 1-2mins.
Here’s one of my all time favourite recipes:
- 2Tab ginger - finely minced
- 1Tab garlic - finely minced
- 4 Tab spring onion - finely minced
- 1tsp sesame oil
- 1tsp salt flakes
- pinch pepper
- 21/2 Tab oil (rice bran, peanut, vegetable)
- Mix the ginger, garlic, spring onion, sesame oil, salt & pepper and put into a small heat-proof dish. (I use an enamel flat dish approx 10cm across, but any dish or bowl that allows you to spread out the mix a bit will be fine.
- Heat the ricebran oil in a small saucepan until it is very, very hot and smoking. This part is very important and you need to stay with the oil pot until it is ready. (do not leave this oil unsupervised) Ricebran oil or similar has a very high "flash point" which means you can get it very hot without it bursting into flames.
- When your oil is very hot, pour it immediatley over the aromatics (ginger,garlic spring onion etc)
- It should really sizzle as soon as the oil hits the aromatics. (if it doesn't sizzle immediately, your oil is not hot enough and you need to put it back on the heat)
- Give a final mix and transfer to a small bowl.
- Serve with your favourite meat, veg, rice.
- This is perfect with Haianese Chicken Rice and or Steamed fish.
- You can also put the raw mix on top of your chicken / fish and pour the hot oil directly over it.
- Add a drizzle of soy if you like.